Skip to main content

I am a Teacher


I was born the first moment that a question leaped from the mouth of a child. I have been many people in many places.
I am Socrates exciting the youth of Athens to discover new ideas through the use of questions.
I am Aesop and Hans Christian Andersen revealing truth through countless stories.
I am Marva Collins fighting for every child’s right to an education.
I am Mary McCleod Bethune building a great college for my people, using orange crates for desks.
And I am Bel Kaufman struggling to go Up The Down Staircase.

The names of those who have practiced my profession ring like a hall of fame for humanity... Booker T Washington, Buddha, Confucius, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Leo Buscaglia, Moses and Jesus.
I am also those whose names and faces have long been forgotten but whose lessons and character will always be remembered in the accomplishments of their students.

I have wept for joy at the weddings of former students, laughed with glee at the birth of their children and stood with head bowed in grief and confusion by graves dug too soon for bodies far too young.
Throughout the course of a day I have been called upon to be an actor, friend, nurse and doctor, coach, finder of lost articles, money lender, taxi driver, psychologist, substitute parent, salesman, politician and a keeper of the faith.

Despite the maps, charts, formulas, verbs, stories and books, I have really had nothing to teach, for my students really have only themselves to learn, and I know it takes the whole world to tell you who you are.
I am a paradox. I speak loudest when I listen the most. My greatest gifts are in what I am willing to appreciatively receive from my students.

Material wealth is not one of my goals, but I am full-time treasure seeker in my quest for new opportunities for my students to use their talents and in my constant search for those talents that sometimes lie buried in self-defeat. I am the most fortunate of all who labour. A doctor is allowed to usher life into the world in one magic moment. I am allowed to see that life is reborn each day with new questions, ideas and friendships.
An architect knows that if he builds with care, his structure may stand for centuries. A teacher knows that if he builds with love and truth, what he builds will last forever.

I am a warrior, daily doing battle against peer pressure, negativity, fear, conformity, prejudice, ignorance and apathy. But I have great allies: Intelligence, Curiosity, Parental Support, Individuality, Creativity, Faith, Love and Laughter all rush to my banner with indomitable support.
And who do I have to thank for this wonderful life I am so fortunate to experience, but you the public, the parents. For you have done me the great honour to entrust to me your greatest contribution to eternity, your children.

And so I have a past that is rich in memories. I have a present that is challenging, adventurous and fun because I am allowed to spend my days with the future. 
I am a teacher ... and I thank God for it every day

Dedicated to all the teachers of the world.
(It is by John W. Schlatter and is an extract from the bookChicken Soup for the Soul by Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are Not The Only One

You just stumbled upon a brilliant idea. You have to come to believe its a gem of an idea. You have a strong intuition its going to be game changer. You want to turn it into an enterprise. You are excited, since your long cherished entrepreneurial dream is now sure to see daylight. You start putting things in place in run up to your dream venture. You are fiercely protective of your idea and taking every precaution to not let it out. Somehow you believe, you are the only one ever to think about it and if you do share it with someone else, chances are - they may rob you of the idea. So you are not willing to let your guard down. And therefore are reluctant to share, discuss and deliberate the idea with anyone else. At times, even with some who might help you shape and execute the idea. The anxiety and the insecurity of loosing your baby (that too even before its been thoroughly conceived) holds you back. If this is what you have experienced and this what you still believe. Let m...

Day 9 - The Power of Understanding

The words “I understand” hold immense power. In the TV show Two and a Half Men , Charlie Harper often uses this phrase, sometimes with humorous intent. But beyond the humor, these two simple words—"I understand"—carry a depth and magic that is often overlooked. Understanding is the first step toward empathy. It reflects a willingness to connect with another person's experience, their emotions, and their perspective. Yet, to truly understand, we must pause and reflect on what we mean when we say it.  Do we really understand what the other person is going through?  Are we merely acknowledging their words, or are we trying to feel what they feel? True understanding isn’t about sympathy or offering solutions. It’s about resonance.  Do we truly feel the depth of someone’s anxiety or pain, or are we simply familiar with the emotion?  Does understanding require us to have lived through similar circumstances, or is it possible to grasp the weight of another’s experience even...

The Trap of Who vs. The Power of What

In any conversation, debate, or discussion, we often find ourselves fixated on who is speaking rather than on what is being said. The easiest response is to judge the messenger, dismissing their words based on our perception of them—their biases, history, or even our own prejudices. This reflexive focus on 'who' rather than 'what' creates barriers to understanding and blinds us to the essence of the message. The Judgmental Trap When we become obsessed with the speaker rather than their words, we risk falling into a judgmental trap. We start assessing their intent rather than engaging with their argument. We question their credibility, label them based on past interactions, and dismiss their perspective outright. In doing so, we fail to listen. Every speaker, no matter how well-intentioned or knowledgeable, is inherently flawed—just as every argument, no matter how sound, carries its own set of assumptions and imperfections. But if we allow our perception ...