Skip to main content

How important is your call??




"Kindly stay on line ...your call is important to us." Start time around 0.30 mins. into the call to  a Customer Care number.

"All our customer care executives are busy at the moment...kindly stay online...your call is important to us"
About 2:00 mins into the call.

"All our customer care executives are busy at the moment...kindly stay online...your call is important to us"
About 5:00 mins into the call.

"All our customer care executives are busy at the moment...kindly stay online...your call is important to us"
About 6:45 mins into the call and with this exemplary display of the importance of my call I unfortunately disconnected. For though my importance had grown over the course of little over six minutes..I just could not deal with the fact that I was so very "important". 

Hence before my importance came really close to being accepted by my service provider I just hung up. But those six odd minutes got me thinking. Thinking about the statement that was constantly being hammered into me "....your call is important to us"......"your call is important to us"....god damn it, if it was so important why was I yet to hear single human voice other than the IVR. God alone knows.

Here's what I thought. I thought of replacing that "your call is important to us" with a different set of words i.e. instead of hammering "your call is important to us" ..why not replace those words with "we value your time". Now ridiculous as it may sound, I know replacing words won't change anything if the service provider is hell bent on servicing the way I experienced but just imagine the possibility....  what if the service provider said "we value your time" or "we value you and your time".

Chances are it may just impact the the way customer care experience is being delivered. One company that surely values me every time I call them is Just Dial...The n number of times that I have called then I am yet to hear "your call is important to us ...kindly stay online." ...it's just "Welcome Mr....." barely a ring or two into the call and that really makes me feel not only important but valued ....and I don't pay them a single penny directly.

Agreed that a service provider unlike a Just Dial (an information services provider)  needs to segregate its customer to ensure better monitoring and tracking of its customers but it can definitely take cue from a Just Dial post the IVR menu and put end to the customers misery. On the contrary the information service provider too provides a diverse range information  to a diverse range of people without even getting into the IVR...if other service providers manage to crack that code ...I believe it will definitely tell you how important your call is.

P.S. On second thoughts if your service provider and your customer care executives are so busy to even attend to a customer within six minutes ....be sure your business is set to be doomed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 9 - The Power of Understanding

The words “I understand” hold immense power. In the TV show Two and a Half Men , Charlie Harper often uses this phrase, sometimes with humorous intent. But beyond the humor, these two simple words—"I understand"—carry a depth and magic that is often overlooked. Understanding is the first step toward empathy. It reflects a willingness to connect with another person's experience, their emotions, and their perspective. Yet, to truly understand, we must pause and reflect on what we mean when we say it.  Do we really understand what the other person is going through?  Are we merely acknowledging their words, or are we trying to feel what they feel? True understanding isn’t about sympathy or offering solutions. It’s about resonance.  Do we truly feel the depth of someone’s anxiety or pain, or are we simply familiar with the emotion?  Does understanding require us to have lived through similar circumstances, or is it possible to grasp the weight of another’s experience even...

The Trap of Who vs. The Power of What

In any conversation, debate, or discussion, we often find ourselves fixated on who is speaking rather than on what is being said. The easiest response is to judge the messenger, dismissing their words based on our perception of them—their biases, history, or even our own prejudices. This reflexive focus on 'who' rather than 'what' creates barriers to understanding and blinds us to the essence of the message. The Judgmental Trap When we become obsessed with the speaker rather than their words, we risk falling into a judgmental trap. We start assessing their intent rather than engaging with their argument. We question their credibility, label them based on past interactions, and dismiss their perspective outright. In doing so, we fail to listen. Every speaker, no matter how well-intentioned or knowledgeable, is inherently flawed—just as every argument, no matter how sound, carries its own set of assumptions and imperfections. But if we allow our perception ...

You Are Not The Only One

You just stumbled upon a brilliant idea. You have to come to believe its a gem of an idea. You have a strong intuition its going to be game changer. You want to turn it into an enterprise. You are excited, since your long cherished entrepreneurial dream is now sure to see daylight. You start putting things in place in run up to your dream venture. You are fiercely protective of your idea and taking every precaution to not let it out. Somehow you believe, you are the only one ever to think about it and if you do share it with someone else, chances are - they may rob you of the idea. So you are not willing to let your guard down. And therefore are reluctant to share, discuss and deliberate the idea with anyone else. At times, even with some who might help you shape and execute the idea. The anxiety and the insecurity of loosing your baby (that too even before its been thoroughly conceived) holds you back. If this is what you have experienced and this what you still believe. Let m...