Skip to main content

Day 31 - The Day After - Looking Back, Learning, and Growing



I’ve completed another journey—thirty posts in thirty days. Looking back, I feel a sense of accomplishment. This challenge wasn’t easy. Some posts were carefully planned, some were spontaneous, some felt a bit forced, and others simply unfolded on their own. All within the space of a month.

Now, as I sit back and reflect, questions arise. What could I have done better? How could I have prepared differently? Is this truly what I set out to achieve? Could the writing have been stronger, the reflections deeper?

In hindsight, I recognize that there's much to learn from this experience. One honest admission is that I strayed from my original intention. “Thirty Days in October and the Day After” was meant to capture my reflections on each day's events—an attempt to distill the essence of daily happenings. The 31st day was intended as a pause, a chance to sit back and reflect on what had been captured, and find its core essence and meaning.

If I think about it, today is the only day I’m fully doing what I set out to do. I focused so much on what to write each day, that I drifted away from why I was writing in the first place. My initial goal was to write with spontaneity and insight, creating a collection of honest reflections.

Yet somewhere along the way, the focus shifted. I became more concerned with meeting the daily writing goal than with capturing the day’s essence. Writing each day became less about reflection and more about keeping up with the challenge. 

Some posts did convey my observations and feelings and turned out well, but I see now that I could have brought in more personal reflection and insight.

Perhaps next time, I’ll take the lessons learned here to heart: I’ll prepare differently and aim to stay true to the purpose of the journey. I’ll focus not just on the content but also on the intent—to reflect on the moments that make each day unique. And in doing so, I hope to capture a truer, more personal journey.

Each endeavor offers an opportunity to grow, and this one has given me plenty to consider. I look forward to what the next challenge will bring and the chance to write and reflect with greater clarity, purpose, and authenticity.

Here’s to doing better next time, with a renewed focus and a deeper commitment to reflection and unearthing life's new meanings. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 9 - The Power of Understanding

The words “I understand” hold immense power. In the TV show Two and a Half Men , Charlie Harper often uses this phrase, sometimes with humorous intent. But beyond the humor, these two simple words—"I understand"—carry a depth and magic that is often overlooked. Understanding is the first step toward empathy. It reflects a willingness to connect with another person's experience, their emotions, and their perspective. Yet, to truly understand, we must pause and reflect on what we mean when we say it.  Do we really understand what the other person is going through?  Are we merely acknowledging their words, or are we trying to feel what they feel? True understanding isn’t about sympathy or offering solutions. It’s about resonance.  Do we truly feel the depth of someone’s anxiety or pain, or are we simply familiar with the emotion?  Does understanding require us to have lived through similar circumstances, or is it possible to grasp the weight of another’s experience even...

The Trap of Who vs. The Power of What

In any conversation, debate, or discussion, we often find ourselves fixated on who is speaking rather than on what is being said. The easiest response is to judge the messenger, dismissing their words based on our perception of them—their biases, history, or even our own prejudices. This reflexive focus on 'who' rather than 'what' creates barriers to understanding and blinds us to the essence of the message. The Judgmental Trap When we become obsessed with the speaker rather than their words, we risk falling into a judgmental trap. We start assessing their intent rather than engaging with their argument. We question their credibility, label them based on past interactions, and dismiss their perspective outright. In doing so, we fail to listen. Every speaker, no matter how well-intentioned or knowledgeable, is inherently flawed—just as every argument, no matter how sound, carries its own set of assumptions and imperfections. But if we allow our perception ...

You Are Not The Only One

You just stumbled upon a brilliant idea. You have to come to believe its a gem of an idea. You have a strong intuition its going to be game changer. You want to turn it into an enterprise. You are excited, since your long cherished entrepreneurial dream is now sure to see daylight. You start putting things in place in run up to your dream venture. You are fiercely protective of your idea and taking every precaution to not let it out. Somehow you believe, you are the only one ever to think about it and if you do share it with someone else, chances are - they may rob you of the idea. So you are not willing to let your guard down. And therefore are reluctant to share, discuss and deliberate the idea with anyone else. At times, even with some who might help you shape and execute the idea. The anxiety and the insecurity of loosing your baby (that too even before its been thoroughly conceived) holds you back. If this is what you have experienced and this what you still believe. Let m...