Skip to main content

Thirty Days In October And The Day After - Day 2

Common Ground.

At our MBA batch reunion today one my classmates asked, "you don't write mails any more?" Well, for starters, I was quite notorious for writing a couple of mails which the class did cherish (I have posted a couple of them in my blogs..will posts the links later).

What I did not mention to him was that I did attempt on quite a few occasions to write but could not reach beyond a few lines. However hard I may have tried...I always got stuck. Never quite realising the reason why I could not go beyond the first few lines.

However on my way back home from the reunion as I was reflecting on his question the answer suddenly struck me - why I could not. Simply because the common ground that we shared when college was not there any more. We had gone different ways. Though the common thread the connected us still remains and will continue to remain but what we knew and experienced as part of college life was our common ground. It was easier then for me comment on it in my own way. Not now. 

It also brought me the realisation why need to have a common ground / common platform / common (known) context when we are communicating. Again simply because it makes the communication easy to relate and more meaningful. The more we share this common ground the more effective and meaningful the communication becomes. The more we loose sight or stop experience this common ground the more difficult the communication becomes. And it holds true in all aspects of life.

Today and for the days and years to follow I pray to the Lord to help me regain this lost ground and never to lose the common ground that still share with others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I close for the day one of my most proudest moment...is the 100% increase in number of my followers ...surprise surprise ...hahaa...it has gone up from one to two. Until and unless it keeps doubling up this rate may never be achieved again. So thanks Vivek. Thanks Melvin (my friend and my first follower). Thanks God. And also to all those who have visited the blog to date. Thanks. I hope we continue to share and tread  on our common ground.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 9 - The Power of Understanding

The words “I understand” hold immense power. In the TV show Two and a Half Men , Charlie Harper often uses this phrase, sometimes with humorous intent. But beyond the humor, these two simple words—"I understand"—carry a depth and magic that is often overlooked. Understanding is the first step toward empathy. It reflects a willingness to connect with another person's experience, their emotions, and their perspective. Yet, to truly understand, we must pause and reflect on what we mean when we say it.  Do we really understand what the other person is going through?  Are we merely acknowledging their words, or are we trying to feel what they feel? True understanding isn’t about sympathy or offering solutions. It’s about resonance.  Do we truly feel the depth of someone’s anxiety or pain, or are we simply familiar with the emotion?  Does understanding require us to have lived through similar circumstances, or is it possible to grasp the weight of another’s experience even...

The Trap of Who vs. The Power of What

In any conversation, debate, or discussion, we often find ourselves fixated on who is speaking rather than on what is being said. The easiest response is to judge the messenger, dismissing their words based on our perception of them—their biases, history, or even our own prejudices. This reflexive focus on 'who' rather than 'what' creates barriers to understanding and blinds us to the essence of the message. The Judgmental Trap When we become obsessed with the speaker rather than their words, we risk falling into a judgmental trap. We start assessing their intent rather than engaging with their argument. We question their credibility, label them based on past interactions, and dismiss their perspective outright. In doing so, we fail to listen. Every speaker, no matter how well-intentioned or knowledgeable, is inherently flawed—just as every argument, no matter how sound, carries its own set of assumptions and imperfections. But if we allow our perception ...

You Are Not The Only One

You just stumbled upon a brilliant idea. You have to come to believe its a gem of an idea. You have a strong intuition its going to be game changer. You want to turn it into an enterprise. You are excited, since your long cherished entrepreneurial dream is now sure to see daylight. You start putting things in place in run up to your dream venture. You are fiercely protective of your idea and taking every precaution to not let it out. Somehow you believe, you are the only one ever to think about it and if you do share it with someone else, chances are - they may rob you of the idea. So you are not willing to let your guard down. And therefore are reluctant to share, discuss and deliberate the idea with anyone else. At times, even with some who might help you shape and execute the idea. The anxiety and the insecurity of loosing your baby (that too even before its been thoroughly conceived) holds you back. If this is what you have experienced and this what you still believe. Let m...