Skip to main content

The Next Thirty Days...Day 17 (Lakshmi Pratury: The lost art of letter-writing)

For today ....I think I will take a break and Lakshmi Pratury do all the talking. I found this video on TED when I was preparing for a Communication Skills Class to cover various aspects of "Writing". Since then I have watched quite a few times. There used to be time when I was in school I used to write letters to my Aunts and couple of friends who were priests. The letter exchanges continued till I reached my degree college and then they abruptly stopped. I still have few of those letters stuffed in some corner of one of the drawers which I pull out and read sometimes, not often though. The feeling is something different. Really different.
I totally agree with the point which Lakshmi makes. 

Coincidentally I did write diary each day for a month my wife starting a month before my marriage. That was a marriage gift which I gave my wife. Two and half years into the marriage she still cherishes it. And then was sudden urge to write again for each day for the next nine months when my wife informed me about the coming of our little angel. I thought it would be a wonderful experience to write about anxiety and anxious of an expecting dad. This time however I didn't for whatsoever reason. Till day I found this video and instantly connected with it. I surely intend to take the pen and paper route soon if not now to leave a legacy for child for her to be able to touch and feel the same piece of paper and experience the words which once passed through my heart on to the paper. So let's get a feel of the legacy of slowly fading art of letter writing.




Hope you will enjoy and relate with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 9 - The Power of Understanding

The words “I understand” hold immense power. In the TV show Two and a Half Men , Charlie Harper often uses this phrase, sometimes with humorous intent. But beyond the humor, these two simple words—"I understand"—carry a depth and magic that is often overlooked. Understanding is the first step toward empathy. It reflects a willingness to connect with another person's experience, their emotions, and their perspective. Yet, to truly understand, we must pause and reflect on what we mean when we say it.  Do we really understand what the other person is going through?  Are we merely acknowledging their words, or are we trying to feel what they feel? True understanding isn’t about sympathy or offering solutions. It’s about resonance.  Do we truly feel the depth of someone’s anxiety or pain, or are we simply familiar with the emotion?  Does understanding require us to have lived through similar circumstances, or is it possible to grasp the weight of another’s experience even...

The Trap of Who vs. The Power of What

In any conversation, debate, or discussion, we often find ourselves fixated on who is speaking rather than on what is being said. The easiest response is to judge the messenger, dismissing their words based on our perception of them—their biases, history, or even our own prejudices. This reflexive focus on 'who' rather than 'what' creates barriers to understanding and blinds us to the essence of the message. The Judgmental Trap When we become obsessed with the speaker rather than their words, we risk falling into a judgmental trap. We start assessing their intent rather than engaging with their argument. We question their credibility, label them based on past interactions, and dismiss their perspective outright. In doing so, we fail to listen. Every speaker, no matter how well-intentioned or knowledgeable, is inherently flawed—just as every argument, no matter how sound, carries its own set of assumptions and imperfections. But if we allow our perception ...

Not Everything Happens For A Reason

Not everything happens for a reason. Sometimes things just happen. That's it. There is nothing one can do about it. But we go looking for reasons. That is what we have been told for ages - Everything happens for a reason.  And we have all kinds of reasons. Fate, destiny,  divine plan, higher purpose, God's plan, for something better, or it was meant to happen. You keep getting some or the other inexplicable reasons which rarely makes any sense. Yet we continue to look for answers because we have been always made to believe everything happens for a reason. Just because something does not work out - it could be a business, marriage, education, divorce, death of a loved one, broken dreams - does not mean there have to be reasons for it. In fact, there are none. These reasons we seek become an escape route. We start using them to rationalize failure and loss. We have grown accustomed to becoming strong believers of cause and effect. So much so that it starts becoming a crutch we w...