Skip to main content

On Giving...What's wrong with it or how it can be made better

Vinod Khosla (a prominent Silicon Valley Venture Capitalists) pledges half his fortune to charity ...ran the news. A few days back it was Shiv Nadar of HCL, a few more days (or rather months) back it was Azim Premji and even before that it was Narayanmurthy. And long time before they all thought about pledging a part of their life long earnings there was Warren Buffet. Then along came Bill Gates. Great. I am happy that the list is increasing. For likes of these businessmen and others alike life definitely has come a full circle and how. The philanthropy efforts of these individual do require a special mention. For it is very difficult to part with your own hard earned money and that to towards a cause which might have little or no direct relation to you.

But I have got some reservations. No, not about the intentions of these people. Though at times there are questions that have raised about the real intentions of these people by various bodies. I not going to speak about that either. For who am I to question the intentions that ultimately may end up benefiting the people in real need of help. By now all said and done you may be wondering what I am trying to get at or what my reservations are.

My reservations are if this help really reaches the people intentioned for. These gentlemen obviously might be monitoring the money spent but once it is out of their kitty, it is out of their control as well. If we look at the cumulative wealth of their pledges it quite an enormous figure. For individual who is least bothered about there contributions and intentions a fraction is also a significant amount. Multiply these with a few hundreds (not even thousands)and you will understand I mean. It is hard to deny that officials all across the world, especially in the developing or emerging economies where the money actually going are not interested in their share of the pie. 

Hence, it is of utmost importance to create a mechanism that reduces or better still eliminates the loss in transit. Pledging money is important, but what I would really like to see from these extraordinary gentlemen, and women too, given their vast experience, expertise and achievements is contribution in creating and strengthening such a mechanism. The benefits of such a initiative would be manifold and far reaching. 

Another aspect which I would like to highlight is a majority of them route it through their own trusts and foundations (possibly because of better control which they can exercise) which they set up for philanthropy. Nothing wrong with it. But why not identify the really good institutions committed to social cause that selflessly and seamlessly built such a mechanism and are delivering. Imagine the impact in such scenario for these institutes already have built credibility, experience and expertise to capitalize on. I think it would be exemplary. A win-win-win.

A god man named Sathya Sai baba passed away recently in India and his trust is said to be worth above Rs. 40,000 crore. Imagine what he could have been able to achieve with such a huge sum if he had such a mechanism to take the wealth at his disposal towards fructification. Today the wealth is likely to become a disputed property. The same may be the case with others too at later stage. Hence the need for mechanism that not only monitors, but also ensures, evaluates and raises the quality of such initiatives even higher.

If there is such a mechanism in place then it should be brought to the front with sole purpose of ensuring the wealth pledged achieves what it was pledged for.

And before I close, I would like to end with Chinese poverb...."Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". Its high time that this lies at the core (or heart) supported by other initiatives of all the philanthropic efforts or else it may prove to be a futile battle. To those initiatives that already have their heart in the right place I salute and to all others, I request, let not your efforts go waste. For the value you are creating through such efforts is not worth loosing even in bits and pieces.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One -- What Am I Going To Write About?

To be honest, I’m not sure. I didn’t have a plan for this. A few ideas popped into my head yesterday, but I let them slip away without writing them down. So now, I’m here, wondering... What should I write about? I’ve always admired how writers seem to find the words. They don’t just tell stories; they make sense of life. Whether it’s fiction, essays, or poems, their words flow effortlessly, drawing you into their world. It’s like magic—captivating and transformative. Somehow, they’ve mastered the craft of turning simple words into gems that stay with you long after you’ve read them. And then, there’s me. I just write. I let my thoughts spill out, raw and unfiltered, without much structure or thought. No carefully woven narrative, no grand flow—just whatever comes to mind. Sometimes, I wonder if I’ll ever get to the level of those writers who make it all seem so easy. Maybe I will. Maybe I won’t. But right now, that doesn’t matter. What matters is that I’m writing. I showed

Day 2 - What's Your Purpose?

Have you ever truly asked yourself, What’s my purpose? It’s a question many ask, but few genuinely pursue. We often move through life, following routines without stopping to consider why we’re doing what we do. Many choices are made simply because "that’s how it’s always been done," without questioning the deeper reasons behind them. Think about it: How often do people choose a career because it's popular, without ever asking themselves, Why do I want to do this? It’s rare to pause and reflect on what drives us at our core. But those who are in pursuit of purpose— they ask the important questions. They don’t just accept choices blindly; they challenge the status quo, question the outcomes, and evaluate the significance of their actions in relation to their larger goals. Purpose provides clarity. It’s the compass that guides decisions and actions, ensuring every step is intentional. It’s not just about achieving success; it’s about creating meaningful change,

Day 3 - The Power of Letting Go: Why It's Okay to Give Up

In a world that glorifies perseverance and celebrates grit, we're often told to keep pushing through no matter the cost. "Winners never quit, and quitters neve win" has been drilled into us since childhood. But what if sometimes the strongest, wisest choice is to let go? What if walking away could be your key to unlocking a better future? There are moments in life when we know—deep down—that continuing down the same path is futile. Yet, we keep going, fueled by hope that maybe, just maybe, things will turn around. We tell ourselves, "I'll give it one more try," even when we know it's unlikely to work. So why do we hold on? There are many reasons, but they often come down to fear: What will people say? Will I be seen as a failure? How can I let go when I’ve given it my everything? I can’t imagine my life without this. There must be a way to make it work! These thoughts cloud our judgment, keeping us stuck. But the real point is not the reason