Skip to main content

On Travel By Train...Soulful Singers


As the 7.34 p.m. local leaves Churchgate station for Virar, I dug myself into my copy of the day’s Economic Times. However because of an exhaustive day at work I keep the paper aside and enjoy the breeze that’s flowing in through the window and of course as is the practice take little nap. Soon I wake up to enjoy a beautiful voice singing the soulful melody “Main Shayar Badnam” from Namak Haram.  It’s been sung by Shabbirbhai, a bearded man who appears to be in his late forties. He has for company a perfect mix of Indian diversity the local trains represent. He then followed it with other golden oldies like “Suhani Chandani Ratein” and “Akele hain chale aao” among the few he rendered. It’s was such soothing feeling to relax to the tune of such gems, which rarely come by these days. Whilst enjoying I tried hard remembering few recent songs that would match this timeless class. Unfortunately not many come to my mind. I am marvelled by the simplicity of the words, their meaning and poetry that filled these songs. I set my mind to the tune of the classics being belted out one after other. In between Shabbirbhai is kind enough share few anecdotes about the song, its singers, the musician and the movie. The company he has is actively engaged in listening to his anecdotes. And Shabbhirbhai is humble enough to mention a fellow traveller (who was most probably missing today) who sings a few these compositions in a far superior way than he does.
And while all this happening, my mind travels back to one of the most soulful renditions of “Ramiya Vasta Vaiya” (another timeless classic from Shree 420) I have ever heard on Virar bound local. Unlike Shabbirbhai and his group it was group of four youngsters in their early twenties enjoying themselves to the old songs. However for some strange reasons it’s the only song I remember from that journey. Maybe it’s for the reason I realized what a gem of Director Raj Kapoor was. The song is beautifully timed when Raj Kapoor dejected by the surreal world returns back to his roots and lyrics illustrate the illusions of surreal from that of real world. Till then I heard the song thousand times before but has totally missed the soul of the song. For anyone who has seen the movie will agree the song could not have more beautifully travel for all its worth.
So here I pay tribute and thank all such simple people who sing just for joy of and make the journey back home a pleasant one after a hard day’s work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One -- What Am I Going To Write About?

To be honest, I’m not sure. I didn’t have a plan for this. A few ideas popped into my head yesterday, but I let them slip away without writing them down. So now, I’m here, wondering... What should I write about? I’ve always admired how writers seem to find the words. They don’t just tell stories; they make sense of life. Whether it’s fiction, essays, or poems, their words flow effortlessly, drawing you into their world. It’s like magic—captivating and transformative. Somehow, they’ve mastered the craft of turning simple words into gems that stay with you long after you’ve read them. And then, there’s me. I just write. I let my thoughts spill out, raw and unfiltered, without much structure or thought. No carefully woven narrative, no grand flow—just whatever comes to mind. Sometimes, I wonder if I’ll ever get to the level of those writers who make it all seem so easy. Maybe I will. Maybe I won’t. But right now, that doesn’t matter. What matters is that I’m writing. I showed

Day 2 - What's Your Purpose?

Have you ever truly asked yourself, What’s my purpose? It’s a question many ask, but few genuinely pursue. We often move through life, following routines without stopping to consider why we’re doing what we do. Many choices are made simply because "that’s how it’s always been done," without questioning the deeper reasons behind them. Think about it: How often do people choose a career because it's popular, without ever asking themselves, Why do I want to do this? It’s rare to pause and reflect on what drives us at our core. But those who are in pursuit of purpose— they ask the important questions. They don’t just accept choices blindly; they challenge the status quo, question the outcomes, and evaluate the significance of their actions in relation to their larger goals. Purpose provides clarity. It’s the compass that guides decisions and actions, ensuring every step is intentional. It’s not just about achieving success; it’s about creating meaningful change,

Day 3 - The Power of Letting Go: Why It's Okay to Give Up

In a world that glorifies perseverance and celebrates grit, we're often told to keep pushing through no matter the cost. "Winners never quit, and quitters neve win" has been drilled into us since childhood. But what if sometimes the strongest, wisest choice is to let go? What if walking away could be your key to unlocking a better future? There are moments in life when we know—deep down—that continuing down the same path is futile. Yet, we keep going, fueled by hope that maybe, just maybe, things will turn around. We tell ourselves, "I'll give it one more try," even when we know it's unlikely to work. So why do we hold on? There are many reasons, but they often come down to fear: What will people say? Will I be seen as a failure? How can I let go when I’ve given it my everything? I can’t imagine my life without this. There must be a way to make it work! These thoughts cloud our judgment, keeping us stuck. But the real point is not the reason